ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-11-2014   #21
Dynomite

Default Bilstein Shock Applications and Self Alignment

FX3 Selective Rid Control TIPS
FX3 Actuator Rebuild TIPS

In regard to applications of FX3 Shocks 90-91 and 92-later.......
You can't just change out the gear on top as entire rod needs to be changed due to the valving holes. You can use 92 FX3s in 90-91 Application if you upgrade to the newer controller.

See this from Captain Z
Please take a moment to inspect the small metal gear located on the top of the shock. Often they are broken and must be replaced before the fx3 system will be restored to working order. We have original equipment gears in stock for 1989 to 1991. We have replacement gears for 1992 and later models in stock also. These gears are made of steel finished in yellow zinc dichromate. There are two different gears used on the shocks in the fx3 system. The difference is in the size of the stop located along the lower edge of the gear. The year of your Corvette determines the type of gear used. See photo below.
Visually inspect the gear for breaks and for cracks. Also the gear should not be able to turn in complete circles without stopping. If you can turn it continuously without hitting the stop then it is broken and must be replaced. The gear can be replaced in either position without affecting the operation of the shock.

From this it appears to me the setup of the FX-3 is self aligning in all regards...........just want to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Got a new front actuator on Ebay and installed it with shock gear centered. Appears the positon of shock gear makes no difference because the actuator does a self alignment on startup. Got rid of Service Ride Control warning ......it went away immediately and never returned
See this from Captain Z
When the ignition key is turned, the system will do a check to be sure it is working properly. The service ride control light should come on momentarily and then go out if all is well. If the light stays on then the system most likely has problems.

The two following observations suggests FX3 Bilstein self alignment IS what I think it is........

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
I've had my front actuator motors off every time I clean the front suspension, blow the grit out of the cups and put a drop of gun oil on the shock gear even turn the gear and never paid attention to the position when I put them back on with 0 issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
I changed out my front shocks recently and all I had to do was carefully reinstalled the actuator by rotating it back and forth as it went down on shock the to make sure the actuator and valve gear teeth properly engaged. When fully inserted the splines on the outside of the actuator cap will lock into the metal cup on top of the shock and the retainer clip will insert easily then. As mentioned above when you turn the ignition key on the actuator cycles in both directions sensing the location of the valve hard stops by the resulting increase in current draw when the stops are reached. Then you’re ready to go. If for some reason the control system cannot find either of the valve hard stops (in case of broken gear) or senses the calibration time is taking too long it will trip the “Check Ride Control light”.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-11-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #22
vilant

Default Re: Bilstein Shock Self Alignment

Quote:
FX3 Selective Rid Control TIPS
FX3 Actuator Rebuild TIPS

See Diagnosis
Please take a moment to inspect the small metal gear located on the top of the shock. Often they are broken and must be replaced before the fx3 system will be restored to working order. We have original equipment gears in stock for 1989 to 1991. We have replacement gears for 1992 and later models in stock also. These gears are made of steel finished in yellow zinc dichromate. There are two different gears used on the shocks in the fx3 system. The difference is in the size of the stop located along the lower edge of the gear. The year of your Corvette determines the type of gear used. See photo below.
Visually inspect the gear for breaks and for cracks. Also the gear should not be able to turn in complete circles without stopping. If you can turn it continuously without hitting the stop then it is broken and must be replaced. The gear can be replaced in either position without affecting the operation of the shock.

From this it appears to me the setup of the FX-3 is self aligning in all regards...........just want to make sure ????

This suggests self alignment is not what I think it is????
Maybe it is self aligning, and my controller is broken (but I don't think it is). All I know is, the gear on a brand new shock stripped out (only a few hundred miles on them), and I put the gear in the middle position because I didn't know which way it should go. I've been talking to the guy at Bilstein (cause I finally sent my original shocks in for rebuild) who's the manager of the re-build department. He made sound that the gear has to be in the open position or actuator will over turn the gear and damage it. Now that I think about it, when I first thought the actuator was bad, I noticed the gear only spun in one direction when I looked at it after turning the ignition on. Because it didn't spin back, I thought the actuator was bad. Bought a new actuator and it did the same thing. That's when I noticed the gear was stripped. Maybe only MY 1990 is not self aligning and later years are.
Either way it can't hurt to set the gear in the open position before you put the actuator on, if it is self aligning.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #23
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
Maybe it is self aligning, and my controller is broken (but I don't think it is). All I know is, the gear on a brand new shock stripped out (only a few hundred miles on them), and I put the gear in the middle position because I didn't know which way it should go. I've been talking to the guy at Bilstein (cause I finally sent my original shocks in for rebuild) who's the manager of the re-build department. He made sound that the gear has to be in the open position or actuator will over turn the gear and damage it. Now that I think about it, when I first thought the actuator was bad, I noticed the gear only spun in one direction when I looked at it after turning the ignition on. Because it didn't spin back, I thought the actuator was bad. Bought a new actuator and it did the same thing. That's when I noticed the gear was stripped. Maybe only MY 1990 is not self aligning and later years are.
Either way it can't hurt to set the gear in the open position before you put the actuator on, if it is self aligning.
See this from Captain Z
When the ignition key is turned, the system will do a check to be sure it is working properly. The service ride control light should come on momentarily and then go out if all is well. If the light stays on then the system most likely has problems.

I am sooooo confused ......do I go back and check my shocks on the 90' and 91' or not

I concur with you ............and for now I will check to make sure this is the case on my FX3 set ups.....Either way it can't hurt to set the gear in the open position before you put the actuator on, if it is self aligning.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2014   #24
WVZR-1

Quote:
This from See Diagnosis
You might maybe mention "this from Captain Z" rather than just a "diagnosis" link that I guess could be interpreted initially as "yours" until it's actually applied. Aaron I would think should maybe be considered "the first call" for nearly all FX3 questions.

On HIS/Captain Z "diagnosis" page there's also a reference back to the Registry that I guess since the "redesign" of the web page is no longer functional. If there's a correction to the link it might be of interest to Aaron so that he could correct it. If it's a link that is now "password" protected and member only accessible that might be mentioned to him also.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #25
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
You might maybe mention "this from Captain Z" rather than just a "diagnosis" link that I guess could be interpreted initially as "yours" until it's actually applied. Aaron I would think should maybe be considered "the first call" for nearly all FX3 questions.
What/where is the answer to my confusion

Do I have to set the gear in the open position before I put the actuator on.......or is the actuator self aligning??

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-14-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014   #26
We Gone

Default Re: Front shock change

I've had my front actuator motors off every time I clean the front suspension, blow the grit out of the cups and put a drop of gun oil on the shock gear even turn the gear and never paid attention to the position when I put them back on with 0 issues.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #27
Jagdpanzer

I changed out my front shocks recently and all I had to do was carefully reinstalled the actuator by rotating it back and forth as it went down on shock the to make sure the actuator and valve gear teeth properly engaged. When fully inserted the splines on the outside of the actuator cap will lock into the metal cup on top of the shock and the retainer clip will insert easily then. As mentioned above when you turn the ignition key on the actuator cycles in both directions in order for the control system to since the location of the valve hard stops by the resulting increase in current draw when the stops are reached. Then you’re ready to go. If for some reason the control system cannot find either of the valve hard stops (in case of broken gear) or senses the calibration time is taking too long it will trip the “Check Ride Control light”. In my case the valve rotation force at first was a little excessive on the new shocks which prevented "Check Ride Control" light from clearing. I corrected this by removing the actuator and rotating the valve back and forth by my hand until it loosened up.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015   #28
c4koh

All - thanks for this thread, very useful.

I have an intermittent Service Ride Control light, which I flashed and it pointed me to the front-right actuator - opened it up, and the small shock gear teeth (one on top of the shock) was chewed up. I have a replacement being delivered.

How does that small metal shock gear get removed? does it just slip in, is there a pin? It can't be threaded as it's rotating.

I'm not at home at the moment and not near my FSM, not sure if it will have the procedure, but presume it just - carefully - pries off and clips on????

Thanks, Steve
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote